Sunday, June 28, 2009

Timing fail

Months ago I was alerted by a friend to a job opening at a leading policy think tank. It was a short-term researcher position in the field of governance, and the job description explicitly stated that the role would involve frequent travel. I immediately handed in my cv, writing samples and references because I thought the job was heaps awesome.

I didn't hear from them for a long while and so I readily assumed they just weren't interested. Tonight however, I received an SMS from the Executive Director asking if I am still available for a "short-term (30-day) full-time research work which could parlay into something longer term". Sigh. This offer couldn't have come at a worse time - not when I just committed to another research job that might possibly start next month.

It just sucks exceedingly that I would have to pass up on this opportunity, seeing as the position would have been a fantastic springboard for a career in research and policy work. Also, virtually ANY job which involves a good deal of travelling is difficult to pass up. This think tank is also a highly reputable one and the Executive Director is a man I hold in great esteem (I know him from my government stint years ago), which made it all the more hard for me to text back and let them know that I was turning down the offer. Had they only contacted me last month I would've been able to accept the job, but alas, I was never one to be favoured by timing.

Anyway, that's a lost battle now and all I can do is just move forward and prep myself for the upcoming chapter in my volatile working life. Besides, I realise that accepting the offer would've sidetracked me slightly as it focusses on a different area of research. When I think about it, the new job (the one that starts next month) does sound like an excellent deal after all as it is really in line with my background and career goals. Another thing - I think ultimately it is really what I want to do in life, and surely that should count for something, shouldn't it?

I should really just suck it up and be thankful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and we fall asleep counting our ble-ss-ing! :)

sparks said...

ohh...what think tank might this be?