Saturday, May 30, 2009

When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire

1. He would always read me his poems over the phone, very late at night. I remember having to go out to our terrace just to hear him, as reception still wasn't that good back in the day. Once he read me something too beautiful that I found myself closing my eyes, almost inhaling the words.

2. We would always chat with each other online for hours, but offline our relationship was awkward. He would laugh at everything, and all his sentences were punctuated with chuckles. I resolved one day to stop talking to him altogether because I eventually got sick of his diverting all conversations to the topic of this girl he was in love with. I told him that was the last time he'd ever hear from me, and he hurriedly typed Ti voglio bene before I logged off.

3. We were walking hand in hand in a very dark mountain resort. It was nearly winter and it was a very chilly night. He pulled me close to him and kissed me, then he started shivering. He was convulsing with cold and asked if we could come inside my room so he could turn on the heater. He turned to me and asked, Is this the effect you have on men?

4. He would lend me books and DVDs of arthouse films. He lent me his Griffin and Sabine series, and I innocently mentioned to him that I absolutely loved one of the postcards. I borrowed this movie off him one day, and when I opened the case to pop the DVD into the player I notice the postcard was tucked inside.

5. I was still in pajamas, hair rumpled, face unwashed. He was making me a lovely breakfast of pancakes and bacon and I was watching him cook in the kitchen. He stares at me for a good few seconds and I hear him mutter I'm crazy about you under his breath.

6. He and I challenged each other to a drinking contest, and we finished a bottle of vodka in less than an hour. We both passed out on his bed, and then at some stage ended up kissing under the covers. It was surreal, and all very hazy. That night wrecked our friendship and things never reverted to what they used to be before.

7. He and I were at our usual meeting place. I was getting worried because I had to get home soon. Out of nowhere, a massive fireworks display went off. I was in complete awe, captivated like a child. I would squeeze his hand everytime the fireworks would form pretty images in the sky. It turns out the pyrotechnics were part of the US Embassy's 4th of July celebration.

8. I was home alone again as my flatmate had been sleeping over at her boyfriend's for nearly a week. I was aching for company. It was past midnight and I asked him to pop by, and he took a cab just to get to my flat. He asked if I wanted to take a walk, and we went around my quiet neighbourhood for an hour or so while having a very good conversation.

9. We were on holidays and having breakfast with other friends. I had absolutely no appetite that day, and he was convincing me to even just take a few bites of my food. I don't know how it happened, but we just began to hold hands under the table.

1 comment:

blsm said...

uh oh.. looks like little n is in love.. who's the lucky guy?