Monday, January 28, 2008

First day funk

Today was my first day as a Doorie (Door Assistant). Basically I had to manage queues, check that students had all the paperwork needed to enrol and direct them to available operators who would register them into the system. I started at 10 and finished at 6.

On the whole, things pretty much went well today. There were a couple of instances though where I felt monumentally inept, but I was able to escape such moments by asking people to 'Please speak to my supervisor' (I love our supervisors, they've saved our asses an infinite number of times today from irate students). I've always felt like The Worst Employee Ever in every job I've had, even if these things involve truly brainless grunt work like stapling and photocopying. Seriously. Not once have I felt like I was overqualified or too good for any and every job I've been in; instead I keep asking myself why these poor guys decide to waste their money and hire someone as stupid as me.

Anyway despite all the nervousness about making a bloody fool of myself, I did manage to survive the day unscathed. My supervisor even congratulated me (oh I think that's a hyperbole, she just said I did a good job).

It was infernal, pit-of-hell weather today, and at one point I thought I was gonna pass out due to heat stroke. Anyway, I shouldn't complain: the day went relatively okay, I made no major blunders at work plus I met a couple of nice doories (a Finnish girl who knows the phrase Mahal kita, a Chinese-Aussie who might be a potential mahjong mate and a guy who volunteered for Habitat for Humanity in Manila last year). And the icing of the cake is that we still get paid for doing nothing! I mean, the place does get busy too but for the most part of the day we were either feigning busy-ness or blatantly chatting with each other in front of the supervisors because we got too bored during lull periods.

No comments: